As we said before, poker players have to be mentally strong. Not only must they have good hand reading skills and reasoning, but they must also be in tune with how the odds of thinking and acting along a hand are to their opponents. At the same time maintain a solid emotional state.
To achieve this, we must see poker as a lifestyle and as a business, and continuously think of poker as such. For example, we must be aware that the amount of money we get at the tables does not depend on what happens at the table but on all the hours we spent outside of it studying and preparing.
We will explain in more detail some of the factors that contribute to the mentality of a professional poker player:
- We must be able to accept the variance and not allow bad spells to negatively influence our gameplay.
- The optimal game comes from a solid logic and not from emotionally influenced decisions.
- If you want to play economically profitable poker, we must maintain firm control of our emotional state.
- And all this also in reverse: we must take advantage of players who do not comply with these tips above. Even poker professionals do not get along with bad spells or bad luck punches. They tend to give away more chips than bad luck has taken from them.
- A simple solution is to implement the imposition of a “stop-loss” limit for each game day. As in the bag. For example, if we lose more than two buy-ins in a day, we will stop playing. Rest well!
- The importance of getting enough sleep every night can not be emphasized enough, it is key. The human brain can not function to its maximum expression with the lack of sleep. Therefore, it is important to have at least 7-8 hours of sleep each night.
- Poker players can create their own schedules, but a lot of the time, the sessions can get very long. So we must optimize our time at the tables and know if we perform well in those sessions or in endless tournaments.
- The same idea of taking breaks can also be applied in the long term. For example, if you are suffering from a bad streak and that generates severe emotional stress, take a few days off. A little free time can help re-ignite that spark and restore the path of triumph in your game.
- Do not play other casino games: especially important in face-to-face poker. Gambling is just pure chance. However, in poker, you have the ability to control your EV by using your ability to overcome opponents.
- Take care of your body. Not only the mind. If you want to have a healthy brain to help you make optimal decisions at the poker table, you must work consciously to have good physical health. 30 minutes of physical activity 3 times a week should be the minimum amount of exercise you should do.
- At the same time, the consumption of healthy foods is essential for poker players.
- As in any other form of work, if you want to be at the top of your game and be a leader in your sector, you always need to study and train. You always have to explore other game methods and strategy and keep up with the game’s trends. You must also be open to new ideas, concepts, tips, strategies and game styles.
- We insist: you can say that, in poker, half of your results come from the preparation and the other half from your real game. In the same way that a soccer player never get out on the pitch before a match, without having trained, he has warmed up and equipped with the right equipment.
- Reviewing hands is key in that preparation. In some software programs that can be used at 888poker.es, we can “brand” a hand we played recently to review it. In 888poker.es we also have a hand player.
- Talking about poker with friends and rivals helps improve. We can open ourselves to new interpretations of how certain hands should be played. The same with forums and online coaches.
- Watching TV shows like the one 888poker offers every day at La Sexta helps improve or learn. But it will be in televised tournaments where we can even meet future rivals.
- We must identify “fish”, which basically make poker profitable for sharks.
- Importance of hand selection: it is essential to know which hands we should play in each circumstance, tournament phase, sit & go or cash table. In poker, money is made by taking advantage of the mistakes of their opponents, and the most common is not having a good selection of hands.
- We must be disciplined: that is, to have discipline in the sense of being able to create a plan and follow it at face value. For example, if we have a stop-loss limit, we must stop when we pass it.
In this article, we have given you ideas that professional players use and that can help you. However, in order to take the leap to the next level, you must have the discipline to put these strategies into practice and follow them to the letter.